Chronicles of my adventures and random thoughts

Host Family and other stuff

This is a long one, so I've divided it up for your convenience.

Host Family
So I moved in with my Korean host family last night. Thus far it's been an interesting experience. Its a mom, dad, son Tommy and daughter Cherry. Cherry is in first grade and she's real cute. Tommy is about 11 and speaks fairly good English, which is really good. They have a really big apartment on the tenth floor that has a fantastic view of Cheongju. I'm basically sharing Cherry's room with her, which is fantastic because its all pink.

Shopping
This afternoon we went shopping at the market and HomePlus (which is a lot like Target). I bought some inside shoes (because of course you have to take off your shoes when you come inside), a new watch (btw, cheap watches apparently don't exist in Korea) , and a sweet water bottle (which was cheap). We also stopped at a smoothie place that was fantastic. I got an orange smoothie that they made right in front of us by throwing a whole orange into a blender with some sugar and orange juice. (I like to use parentheses)

Taxi
After our shopping trip, I had to take a taxi back to the apartment by myself. It was slightly unnerving because I'm pretty sure it was the first time I've ever taken a taxi and the driver kept asking me questions in Korean that I obviously couldn't answer. Taxis aren't cheap either.

Teaching
Oh ya, and I've had two days of teaching already. It has gone pretty well. I only have four students in my class, three boys and one girl. They're a lot of fun. We basically go through workbooks most of the time, but I try to make it fun. Yesterday afternoon we did a fantastic relay race with them in the afternoon that all the kids loved. I kinda liked it too.

Ice Skating
So I've been ice skating many many times in my life, but never in the summer. I was thinking, ya, ice skating will be kinda chilly, I should probably wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt. But its ridiculous to get all bundled up in the summer. WRONG. It was cold. We took all the kids ice skating today and they had lessons. Besides being cold, it was really cool, and I will definitely put some pictures up soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Besides being cold, it was really cool" :>) I've got some good news for you, Dawn; check your hotmail..... U. Craig

Post a Comment