Chronicles of my adventures and random thoughts

Cereal Saved My Life

Korean food. I haven't decided yet what to answer when people ask me if I like Korean food. A lot of it is spicy, which hurts my poor innocent taste buds. They really like rice. Koreans, I mean, not my taste buds. REALLY. They eat it literally every single meal, including breakfast, and they eat a lot of it. They also eat strange things like bean sprout soup and they eat seaweed in every form imaginable.

The first few days I was here, I was super excited to try the food and experience the culture. Maybe a little too excited. I didn't get sick, but I felt real icky after every Korean meal I ate. Which meant that when the next meal came around, I really didn't feel like eating the same food again. I started wishing I had brought some vitamins. There is no way I was getting my recommended daily dose of Vitamin A and Magnesium. And that's where cereal came in. Although Koreans traditionally eat their rice and bean sprout soup and whatever else for breakfast, I've had the option of cereal for every breakfast since I've been here. Hurrah for the Calcium and Folic acid that milk and cereal provide.

Luckily, I did not develop a taste aversion like I had feared. After 6 days in Korea, I can now say that I can eat just about anything without feeling icky.

I think I like the food. At least some of it. I've had at least 5 different things that I can honestly say I would love to eat again. You just have to avoid the things you don't like. And eat some Korean cereal every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment