Chronicles of my adventures and random thoughts

All Creatures Great and Small

Well, another rainy day in Douglasville. Surprise, surprise. Which means that instead of using our day off to go explore Atlanta, we are watching movies in the library. It also means that I have loads of time to express my random thoughts to the world via blog.



I really like our housing situation, and not only because it is free. Living in the cabins has turned out to be a bit more, uh, natural than I had expected. Sometimes I feel like Snow White living in the forest making friends with all the cute little woodland creatures. And sometimes I'm afraid that one of those forest animals is going to sneak into my bed and attack me in my sleep.


For example: About the second day we were here, I had the opportunity to see a scorpion just outside of our office. The good news is that scorpion stings aren't deadly, at least not normally. The bad news is that they tell me they hurt a lot, and it seems to be a fairly common thing around here. One of the guys even claimed that last year all of the Corps members got stung at least once, but I have reason to believe that he didn't know what he was talking about.


We also have deer, snakes, squirrels, and more spiders than you can count at our campsite. And we have seen a coyote and a wild turkey (maybe you can do some hunting when you visit, Kevin) within a quarter mile of our campsite.


Although not the most dangerous of the woodland creatures, the squirrels and spiders give us the most problems. You see, spiders really like to build their webs across the trail that we take every day, so it is completely normal to arrive at the office covered in spider webs, especially if you are the first person to walk the trail in the morning.


The squirrels are even friendlier. Just like Snow White, I actually have squirrels living with me! They have made nice comfy homes in the roofs of most of our cabins, and we get to listen to the delightful pitter-patter of their little feet whenever they are around, sometimes in the middle of the night!


Ah, nothing quite like living in the wilderness, being one with nature.

2 comments:

Joel Runyon said...

you're such a hippie :)

Unknown said...

Haha. I live with wild animals, too. My cat is a crazy beast...often in the middle of the night I get to hear him jumping up places where he shouldn't be, breaking whatever item was there.

Post a Comment