Chronicles of my adventures and random thoughts

Get hooked

Last week I found out that I'm going to be teaching phonics.  Which basically means I'll be trying to get the students to properly pronounce short "i"s (they tend to say "eets" instead of "its") and teaching things like the 8 vowel rules. Doesn't sound that interesting, but I'm actually quite excited. I've been learning a lot about linguistics, which I really didn't know much about before. I know about all kinds of stuff now like the International Phonetic Alphabet, voiced and unvoiced phonemes, and the history of the cot-caught merger.

The students are arriving today and tomorrow and we have opening ceremonies on Wednesday. I'm pretty excited to finally have students and feel like I'm accomplishing something after 2 weeks of training.

In other news, things are generally going great. This weekend I took a trip into Beijing to do some shopping (needed some more teachery clothes) and made cookies with my roommate. Baking has been a bit of a difficulty because we generally can't read the labels on things at the store and some things (like butter) they just plain don't have around here.

Also, I've been working on my Chinese, which is fun.

4 comments:

Tina said...

yesssss. phonetics. 'bout as cool as things get.

ps. i don't have a renter yet :(

dannisev said...

you wrote: we generally can't read the labels on things at the store


i thought: the address looks like the pound sign

DawnHeckman said...

Haha, Danni I think about that just about every day.

Tina said...

My friends and I caught a frog and cooked frog legs!!! We attempted this YEARS ago, remember? I'm sad it couldn't have been accomplished with you. :( We did accomplish one thing that weekend we tried to catch frogs....we made enemies with the lifeguards by leaving that hand-caught gift for them. Good times.

Post a Comment