This past week turned out to be a very eventful one. I've been working with the youth group at the church I've been going to, and it turns out that this has some unexpected perks. Wednesday was the annual Douglasville Veteran's Day parade, and I got to ride in the parade with the youth group in what they called a "deuce-and-a-half" (big green army truck), and afterward we had a bonfire. Douglasville doesn't do parades quite as well as Macy's (most of the people I talked to who live here didn't even know about it), but I did get to meet the mayor before the parade, so I felt pretty important.
Also, due to some recent events which I will not discuss in my blog, I am now the new housing manager of our campsite. The basically means that I have to make sure everyone does their chores and that we don't let anything get too moldy.
Yesterday (Friday) we did our service day at a place called the Furniture Bank, where they collect donated furniture to give to people in need. We got to assist people in finding and loading up their furniture (this turned out to be pretty interesting - we got to witness some arguments) and then later we did some manual labor of sorting through stuff and stacking mattresses.
Last night a few of us went to a cafe in Atlanta to see the professional drumming group play. I hadn't been feeling too well during the day, so I almost didn't go, but I'm really glad that I did. They also had some West African dancers there, who were really cool to watch, but even more fun to dance with. It was kind of like being at a wedding when I was 12 and learning the electric slide. Some people had learned some of the dance moves, and the rest of us kind of fumbled our way through and just tried to follow everyone else.
And then I ran five miles this morning. Congrats to Julie and Keith who ran a half marathon this morning. They are awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment